Page updated 11/11/2020..
we have kittens, check out the kittens page
We got involved with Somalis (the semi-long haired Abyssinan) when we were looking for a half Abyssinian to replace Amber. We could not find any 1/2 Abyssinans or Abyssinians when an advert for a Somali caught my eye. This was the birth of SORAFEL SOMALIS.
Sorafel was created from the first letter of the names of the first 3 cats, Soshi, Raffles, Eleanor.
Currently 2 studs Zachary (blue silver), Ruslan (fawn)
& 3 queens, Josephine (usual silver), Nahia (Usual silver) and Desiree (Daisy).
Josephine will be retired from breeding in 2021. Her line will carry on through her daughter Desiree.
The Somali Silver Line is descended from Tajura Tazanna (Bella) a fawn silver which has meant we’ve had to buy in unrelated bloodlines. Both Reya and Bertie (Sorafel Silver Fox) Bella’s grand-kittens have descendants at Sorafel, Reya’s son Dorian is our main stud and Harriet and Imogen are Bertie’s grand-daughters.
Raffles and Soshi were chased out of the home by Leonora and won’t come in at all now, living with neighbours and occasionally coming to the front door for a quick chat.
The Somalis are primarily pets, they don’t have to be show cats or breeders. They do have to be cuddly and fun to handle and be able to live together in harmony (yes, there is the occasional tiff but nothing major). Our breeding is a hobby and is meant to be fun (it’s hard work but fulfilling). The cats live in the home and are part of the family (both males and females). The numbers crept up somewhat which was never the intention and we are hoping to keep them at the current level. (famous last words).
We did not set out intentionally to breed silvers. It happened by chance. Our first Somali was a sorrel and the second was bought as a fawn (solid) but turned out to be a silver. We didn’t keep a girl from the sorrel and her second litter produced one boy and that was the swan song. Bella produced Leonora, a blue silver who turned out to be a prolific breeder and only produced silvers. Leonora’s father was a blue.
Now to meet the cats…
The Somali Queens (and retired queens)
1) Tajura Tazanna (Bella) [ERoS] came to us in October 2005 as the second SORAFEL Breeding queen. She produced 3 litters and became the foundation queen of the Sorafel Silver line. Her daughter, grand-daughter and grand-son, and great grand-daughters all stayed on at Sorafel. Her daughter is
2) Sorafel Leonora, [ERoS] our first prefix queen is a Blue Silver who was born on 20/7/2006. Her sire is Int. Ch. Blue Ludwig of Nazik [ERoS]. Leonora made a first appearance on the show bench where she picked up an Open First and Best of Breed in the Kitten Class before she became a mum. Please see kitten page for more details. (SHE decided that she would go with her grand-daughter to a new home having fallen in love with the couple, the husband especially)
Both Bella and Leonora have retired from breeding, leaving that important role to their descendants.
3) Sorafel Harriet [ERoS], a blue silver. another Leonora great grand-daughter, and Bertie grand-daughter (Parents Goom des Sable Bleu [ERoS] and Sonargaon Philppa [ERoS]). Harriet has been neutered and has now gone to a new home with her nephew Oleg.
4) Sorafel Imogen [ERoS], a blue silver, born on 01/01/2014. She is PKDef and PRA Normal (Clear). Full sister (not same litter) to Harriet.
5) Dushara Ivory Circle [ERoS], a usual silver carrying sorrel.
6) Sorafel Juliana (Julie) [ERoS], a usual silver, born on 6/9/2013. (missing since June 2015 from garden in Fulham)
5) Sorafel Josephine [ERoS], a usual silver, born on 7/3/15 to Dorian and Ivory
The Somali Boys
Sorafel Salvadore Dorian [ERoS], a usual silver carrying sorrel, born on 2/4/2011 to Salvadore and Reya. PKDef and PRA Normal (clear)
Sable Klan Rurik of Sorafel (Ruslan), fawn.
Retired from breeding but offspring/descendants are at Sorafel:
Goom Des Sables Bleu [ERoS], a usual silver carrying sorrel.